Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Poetry Assignment

Poetry is an expressive form of art. When I'm teaching I hope to make poetry interesting and fun for my students. I plan to introduce poetry into my classroom by reading a poem each day, so that students will be used to hearing and seeing poetry in the class. I will read all varieties of poetry, that way students will find their preference of the styles of poetry that they enjoy. I will make picture books and poetry books available so my students are exposed to poetry at all times. I would not have the class study poetry as a unit but as a way to learn literature. I believe that it is important to introduce children to poetry because poetry is a form of expression. Students need an escape, a way to express their feelings and poetry is a great way to express emotions through words. I would allow students to use poetry as their writing during their free-writing time. By allowing students the option to write poetry during their free-time will allow them to be creative and not worried about being counted off. I would periodically suggest certain poetry styles for them to write in. By asking for a certain style, the students will learn all the styles and learn how to adapt their thoughts to a particular style. My students will learn that poetry in just another form of writing that authors use. I hope that they will take interest and find poetry interesting and fun. By introducing poetry to students in a fun and relaxed form, I hope that they will learn to love and appreciate poetry throughout their educational years.

He that walketh with wise men shall be wise
By: Alice Davidson
I chose this poem because it was one of my favorite poems growing up. I want students' to learn that poetry can be a great form of memorization.

A Soft Answer Turneth Away Wrath
By: Alice Davidson
I believe that this poem teaches a life lesson. I would want children to learn that simply smiling can change the attitude of others.

Madeline's Rescue
By: Ludwig Bemelmans
Madeline was one of my favorite books growing up. I would want my students to learn that poetry comes in all forms; maybe their favorite books can also be considered poetry.

Believe in Yourself
By: Jillian Hunt
I chose this poem because it was a poem of aspiration that my parents made me read growing up. I would want students' to learn that they can be anything that they want to be, as long as they believe in themselves.

My Dad
By: Alijon Farin
Poetry is a great way to express feelings. I would want children to learn that poetry is a form of expression and this a way for them to vent through a form of writing.

Paint Brush
By: Bettie Youngs
I chose this poem because I felt this way growing up. I would want my student's to learn that this is a great way to learn from others experience and learn about others lives.

And the Answer Is...?
By: Carol Shield
I chose this poem because it represents every classroom. I would have the students learn that every student is one of these students or somewhere in between. Poetry can be a true representative of classrooms.

Eight-Oh-Three
By: Carol Shield
I chose this poem because it is a great lyric poem. I would want children to see an example of different styles of poetry.

English Is Pain! (Pane?)
By: Shirlee Bingham
I chose this poem because it was a humorous poem that precisely said how I felt about English. I would want students' to learn that poetry is humorous. I believe it is important for students to learn that poetry can be fun.

Everyday Angels
By: Mark Moulton
Everyday Angels is one of my favorite books and this poem is an excerpt taken from the book.
I would want students to learn that poetry is found everywhere. I would hope that they could start recognizing poetry in different places.

Could Have Been Worse
By: Bill Dodds
I chose this poem because it is a humorous poem that made me laugh. I would have students' learn that this poem is an example of a limerick and that they are fun and humorous.

Too Busy
By: Bruce Lansky
I chose this poem because I believe everyone can relate to having hectic days. I would want students' to learn that a short story can be told through poetry.

Homework! Oh, Homework!
By: Jack Prelutsky
I chose this because it is how most people feel about homework and will make students laugh. I would want students to learn that poetry has no boundaries. I believe this is a great example to teach students rhyme.

A Student's Prayer
By: Anonymous
This poem is a short, simple poem that I believe everyone has probably prayed during their educational career. Students will learn that poems come in all lengths.

School, Some Suggestions
By: Bobbie Katz
I thought this poem was cute and a true representative of what a student would suggest about school. I would want students to learn that you can be creative and be expressive about issues throughout poetry.

Tree House
By: Shel Silverstein
I chose Shel Silverstein's poem, Tree House, to show children a very popular poetic author. I would want children to be familiar with certain authors and learn that authors have particular writing styles.

I Should Have Studied
By: Bobbi Katz
I chose this poem to teach the consequences of actions. I would want students to learn a rhyming form of actions and consequences.

New Angel
By: Esther Christensen
I chose this poem because it was my great-grandmothers way of coping with her sons young death. I would want students to have another example of how to express emotions through writing. I would want them to learn that everyone copes differently and that writing is a form of coping.

Pretending
By: Esther Christensen
I chose this poem because it was a special poem that my parents read to me. I would want students to learn to be creative and that pretending is a form of creativity.

Bubble Bath
By:Esther Christensen
I chose this because it is a great representative of my great grandmother's personality. I would show how poetry can be descriptive and tell a short story.

With Love-
By: Esther Christensen
I chose this poem because it was a present that my great grandmother wrote for me. I would have the students learn that poems can be a wonderful gift to give to others.

No comments: