Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Children's Literature Autobiography

Reading as Easy as ABC: Early Memories
Early on, I was introduced to a variety of children’s literature through my family, friends, and church, and it captured my heart. Some of my first memories are of my nightly bedtime reads. I asked my parents or older brother to read me one of my two favorite books: Little Ducks Moving Day or Panda Bears Secret. After nights of reading I memorized the lines and pretended that I could read, though I was only reciting the book by memory. But I was bound to grow in my literacy skills, and I learned any way I could. Having an older brother challenged me in every way. Being four years younger, I had to mature by four years to keep up with him. Therefore, this caused me to want to read what he was reading at four years above my reading level. This encouraged me to continue to excel at a higher reading level throughout my education. My brother sat with me at night and read comics, bible stories and Bernstein Bear books. Reading for me was a way to disappear into magical worlds and kingdoms.


Reading Building Blocks

My reading was enhanced when I entered my early school years. Throughout elementary school, I had several assignments where I wrote my own book. My teacher, of course, published these well-written episodes. Having my books published in our school’s library drove me to work harder and aspire to be a better writer. My family then moved to Lubbock. It was here that I was introduced to Accelerated Reading. Through the AR program, I had the opportunity to read hundreds of books from 3rd grade until 8th grade. I read books that were a part of a series so that I could stay with the same characters but still experience different story lines. Some of the series I read included The Babysitter’s’ Club, Sweet Valley High and Hank the Cow Dog. Although there were many positives to the AR system, I experienced some negatives as well. The AR system took away my love for reading and forced me to read a book in order to pass a test, but not for the enjoyment. I believe that in elementary and junior high literature wasn’t used to the full capacity that it deserves to be. Instead, literature was a way to read a book quickly, take a test, and get an A in your class by achieving a certain point level. During high school, I read motivational books and Christian inspirational readings outside of school. However, in-class literature was quite a miserable experience. Books were chosen because they were on a required list to read and we would read, take a test and learn nothing. Not until my senior year did I learn to enjoy a book. We read Tuesdays with Morrie and it immediately became one of my favorite books. A book of inspiring life lessons was a wonderful way to teach literature.



Inspiration

My grandma has been the one person that has truly influenced my feelings toward books. She has introduced me to hundreds of books. Growing up, she always bought us brand new hardback books, hot off the presses. They were incredible examples of children’s literature. The illustrations were always breath-taking and memorable. She taught me to see beyond the words and to read the pictures to see what the pictures said that the text didn’t. My mom influenced my reading as well. She was the one who taught me how to read and bought more books for me. She encouraged me to read different genres to expand and challenge my reading capacity. She bought fantasy, Christian, humor and educational books. She taught me that through reading I would never stop learning and that reading would take me through a life’s journey. Finally, television influenced what I read. We weren’t able to watch television very often; therefore, if I saw a show I liked I bought and read the books, as opposed to watching them.


My Favorite Bedtime Titles

This paper allowed me to crawl into my attic and get out boxes of children’s books and to relive memories of my favorite books. I have almost a hundred favorite titles. However, I pared it down to my favorite nighttime readings or books that truly captured my heart as a child A few of my favorite bedtime titles are Nathan’s Fishing Trip, Snuggle Piggy and the Magic Blanket, The Velveteen Rabbit and If You Give a Mouse A Cookie.


Reading, a Continuous Journey

Reading has been a continuous journey of experience and growth throughout my life. I am now currently reading a variety of titles covering a myriad of subjects. However, I believe that the children’s literature brings back enjoyment and leisure of reading.

No comments: