Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Children's LitBlog Ch 9&18

Tunnell, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Sadle River NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008.

Chapter 9
Chapter 9 discussed traditional fantasy and after the brief definition of what it is, I was amazed to learn about all of the stories that were considered traditional fantasy. I was shocked and surprised to learn that movie names such as "Cinderella", "Sleeping Beauty" and many more had no original author. These were such wonderful children stories that I was amazed that they didn't have the true author's name on it.
The chapter continued on and the subheading discussion on frightening for young children struck my attention. I never considered children’s books frightening. I read the original "The Three Little Pigs" when I was young and I was never upset or frightened. However, now I know to consider if books are frightening and that there are edited version that has happier endings.

Chapter 18
Chapter 18 discussion of trade books versus textbooks was interesting to me. I believe that students may want to learn and read more if trade books were incorporate into class reading. Trade books would bring variety to the curriculum and would go into more depth and detail that the traditional textbook.

2 comments:

Ms. Heather Walker said...

I agree with you in that our students will be more willing to learn if trade books were incorporated into the curriculum. I say even if it's not in the curriculum we make time for them anyways!

Aspiring Teacher: said...

Courtney,
I also thought Chapter 9 was very interesting. I always wondered what books were classified as traditional fantasy, and now we know. It was also interesting to hear how different versions of the stories can affect children. Like the child who was frightened because the wolf survived the less harmful version of "The Three Little Pigs" story. The kid did not get over the fear, until the mother told her the more traditional story where the wolf dies in the fire.