Thursday, April 24, 2008

Craft Lesson 10: Velma Gratch and the way cool butterfly

Discussion: Velma finds her way to fit into her 1st grade classroom by finding a butterfly. This book is a great book to use to interconnect curriculum.

How to Use It: I would make copies of the book into overhead copies so that you could have the whole classroom read the book with you. However, I would read the book while showing the slides of the pictures to the class on the overhead. Afterwards, I would have the students get into groups of four and discuss different type of bugs that could be found in Lubbock (or the city that they are living in). I would then have the class go out side and see if they could find any of these bugs. I would have them journal what they found and where they found it. I would have the students continue this over the weekend. The next Monday, I would have the students discuss what all they found. I would then have us make a chart of what all bugs were found and what they had in similar.

Resource: Velma Gratch & the way cool butterfly by Alan Madison and Kevin Hawkes

No comments: